Email me at susanmonsonphotography(at)gmail(dot)com
Or Call me at 801-609-8208

Become a Fan!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What a difference a year makes...

At the start of 2010 I was a hobbyist photographer with a dream. But I also was a hobbyist photographer with a huge amount of self doubt. "How can I start a business? No one will like what I do." "Maybe I suck at this." "Maybe I should go to school first." And then I would search the internet for answers, and find things like, "...just a mom with a camera..." and "...fake pro photographer who works out of my home..." or "You can tell  you haven't gone to school..." and I would cry and cry and cry. I would contemplate throwing in the towel. I would judge myself so harshly, and compare my work to that of others. I looked for validation constantly...

And then... I decided I AM good enough. I decided it DOESN'T MATTER if I went to school or not. The proof is in the pudding. I have seen countless people who have the education, who can't take a good picture to save their life, and on the other hand, I have seen COUNTLESS people who have no formal education who are amazing at what they do.

I don't profess to be perfect. I don't pretend to have all the answers or know everything. But I do know this... I love what I do. I am grateful for the opportunity that has been given to me to pursue my dream. I strive to constantly improve. I work hard at gaining more experience and growing each day. I try to give back to others as often as I can.

I started this business at the end of January 2010. I ended that first year, 63 shoots later, having paid off my equipment, and having been able to help support my family by doing what I love. So many blessings in such a short amount of time. I feel overwhelmed with gratitude. Gratitude to my Heavenly Father, my family, my friends, my "fans", my clients, for all the immense support given to me by them. I would not have gotten through this last year without you. Honestly and truly. I would have failed miserably because I would have given up. I would not have been able to go from my humble facebook page and blog to having the courage to start a website.

Thank you thank you thank you, you mean the world to me.

With love,
Susan

3 comments:

Cranberryfries said...

Susan this is so exciting to have a whole year under your belt and see the great success you've had with your amazing talent! Congrats on your business anniversary. :) And I LOVE the new blog header. It looks awesome!

Kristie said...

You are amazing! I have to tell you, I have had so many compliments on the pictures you took of my girls. Thank you so much!
I love how you turned something you loved into a way to help your family.

Olivia Carter said...

Hip-hip for you! Your ROCK!